With 20 years of experience in water damage, smoke damage, and odor removal we help by educating you on what to expect from your insurance company and how to navigate these stressful times.

Click on any of the questions below to learn more:

The #1 Asked Question! How much will this cost?

The reality is that the pricing in this industry is for the most part dictated by the insurance industry and going to fluctuate very little between companies. This type of work and the equipment involved is expensive! ​

It is imperative that the drying process be started as soon as possible and completed with competence. Some home owners ask for a bid. No competent emergency company will do bids.

Emergency drying needs to start right away. If a company comes out and only looks at the job and further damage occurs due to prolonged action, further liability may be incurred. Once the emergency drying process has been started, then the bid process for reconstruction from General Contractors begin. One of the biggest advantages of using First Response is that you’re not getting an employee with only 6 months experience, I have 20 years experience and am personally involved with every restoration job. First Response can also help you with choosing the appropriate contractor.

How does insurance affect my water damage?

When your home is suffering from unwanted water damage, there are some things you should know. We’ve put together a basic list of things you should know when considering an emergency damage restoration company.

First Response Water Damage is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and we will educate you on what to expect from your insurance company and how to navigate these stressful times.

What does it mean to: take action?

When you 1st notice damage such as water, flood, or sewage damage, you are responsible for taking immediate action. 

Most insurance policies have a clause that excludes them from financial responsibility if they feel that the policy holder ignored the situation promoting further damage. 

Your home or business could have been wet for a month, but as soon as you are aware of the damage, it is your responsibility to take action. Calling First Response is considered action taken by the insurance company.

Insurance companies can’t dictate who you use.

When policy holders call their insurance company, often times the adjuster’s office will try to coerce policy holders into using a specific company such as Service Master, Serv Pro, Service Pro, Restore X. They do so because they have more control over these companies if they want to be on the “referral list”. The law states that clients are free to use whom ever they choose, and that benefits and guarantees can not be withheld from policy holders.

Remember, First Response has your best interest at heart, not in pleasing the insurance companies. With 20 years experience we have the expertise to address all your issues.

What do I do next?

The next action to be taken is to start packing miscellaneous items. First Response can move out the furniture, but all contents such as clothes & small objects should be removed as soon as possible so upon arrival, First Response can begin the the inspection and pre-testing process.

What is the difference between Flood & Water Damage?

Water damage and flooding in the home are 2 different categories. “Flooding” is NOT covered by your home owner’s insurance policy.

Water damage is defined as unwanted water in your structure from internal leakage such as a hot water tank, hose, pipe, toilet, washing machine hose, sprinkler system etc. and is covered by your policy.

Flooding is defined as unwanted water in the structure from an outside source such as thru the foundation, thru a doorway, and rain water, rivers, and lakes. Flooding requires specific “flood” insurance. There are some gray areas such as gutters and roofs. FIRST RESPONSE will work with you in deciding the cause of your water damage.

What is not covered under my policy?

Many people are surprised to find out that the cause of water damage is NOT covered by the insurance policy. For example, if your hot water tank breaks, causing water damage, the cost of the hot water tank and plumber is not covered, nor is it applied to the deductible. Your insurance company is only responsible for the damage caused by the broken hot water tank.

Yes, you must pay your deductible.

Policy holders often ask if there is a way around paying the deductible. The answer is no.

Insurance companies require you to pay the deductible and there are ramifications for companies that try to be unscrupulous and side step this requirement. Besides, do you really want an unscrupulous company working on your home or business?